Today, I’m very excited to be finally posting my Beautiful Books #1 Post, Introduce Your Novel. This is a spin-off feature of the Beautiful People feature hosted by Paper Fury and Further Up Further In. All of this change is for NaNoWriMo which is coming up very quickly! I really want to participate this year and really get it done. I’m really not sure about how well I will do, which is why I’m not signing up officially, but it’s just more of a personal goal for me to write more during this month.
There are eleven questions in this first part of this segment, all about my project for NaNoWriMo.
- How did you come up with the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea? I came up with the idea for my novel because I really like playing laser tag and I think it would be awesome if there were professional leagues. I also love sci-fi and books set in the future, so I decided to put it there. I’ve had the idea for a couple of years now, but I’ve always thought that I would be better at writing contemporary because I read more contemporary. But, I’ve tried that a couple of times and it hasn’t worked out, so trying something new!
- Why are you excited to write this novel? I’m excited because of all the world building and the creativity that goes into developing the world and these characters!
- What is your novel about, and what is the title? The current working title is Purple. It’s about a girl who plays a game (kind of like Laser Tag) professionally and her parents were both professional players as well. All of the players live together on one space ship and are raised really harshly in order to become the best player. They are never allowed to leave and travel the galaxy, but they go on a tour to build press and that’s where the plot starts off.
- Sum up your characters in one word each. (Feel free to add pictures!) Veronica – Confused. John, Veronica’s Dad – Caring. Lilly, Veronica’s Mother – Motivated. Blair, Veronica’s best friend – Settled. Spencer – Cocky.
- Which character(s) do you think will be your favourite to write? Tell us about them! I think I’m most excited to write about Blair and Veronica’s relationship because I love best friends in books and I’ll be pulling from some of my own best friends for their relationship!
- What is your protagonist’s goal, and what stands in the way? She wants to explore the world and know something besides a game, something more meaningful, but she is trapped into the life she was born into.
- Where is your novel set? (Show us pictures if you have them!) It’s set on a spaceship in space. Essentially, Earth is still inhabitable, but people prefer to live in space and Earth is only one of the options. There are plenty of different ships that you can go between, but Veronica is stuck on the one where the game is played and filmed.
- What is the most important relationship your character has? Her relationship with her parents is very strong, even though she feels annoyed with them for bringing her into all of it. But she also loves her best friend, Blair.
- How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel? She realizes who she is and what she’s doing and her purpose in the world.
- What themes are in your book? How do you want your readers to feel when the story is over? I think self-discovery is one of them and also pushing outside of your comfort zone. I want them to feel like the way you feel when you walk out of a Marvel movie (like you can save the world and maybe punch a hole in the wall with your strength)
- BONUS! Tell us your 3 best pieces of advice for others trying to write a book in a month. Since I’ve never done it – I’m guessing here. But my basic tactics are: don’t delete anything, just write, and keep going even when it gets hard.
Like I said, I’m not sure how long I will make it through NaNoWriMo because I have school stuff and life stuff to do during November as well. I’m just hoping to take some more time with words.